Friday, November 03, 2006

Finishing a book, The Great Gatsby, and a learning attitude

  1. I finished reading a book that I wasn't crazy about reading (again, because I'd read at least part of it in high school), Sophocles' Oedipus Cycle. Now I'll have more time to read The Great Gatsby, which I also read in high school, but I enjoy that book more.
  2. "A breeze blew through the room, blew curtains in at one end and out the other like pale flags, twisting them up toward the frosted wedding-cake of the ceiling and then rippled over the wine-colored rug, making a shadow on it as the wind does on the sea. The only completely stationary object in the room was an enormous couch on which two young women were buoyed up as though upon an anchored balloon. They were both in white and their dresses were rippling and fluttering as if they had just been blown back in after a short flight around the house." from The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. (See my
    review on Amazon
    .)
  3. My oldest child's attitude toward school. She is so anxious to learn, and so willing to do extra work, ideas from her textbooks or things she's thought up herself. She's just such a pleasure to teach, just a pleasure to be around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home