Sunday, October 29, 2006

Slumber party-ish, autumn leaves in the sunset, coming home to my hills

  1. Staying up on Saturday night until the not-so-early hours of Sunday, talking about everything with my sister and brother, just like it was a slumber party.
  2. The colors on the trees were so beautiful as the sun was setting. Everything was pink and orange and red. It was even prettier than it had been on Friday. Breath taking.
  3. The sun set about the time I left the interstate, and as I got close to our road, I could just barely see the outlines of the hills that are close to our house. But even in the dark, I recognized the hills, and I knew exactly how much farther I had to go to get home. And for the first time in what seems like a really long time, I realized that I was starting to feel like I was coming home. I don't know if I felt that way about Northern Virginia, and I know I never felt that way about Europe. It was a good feeling. There is a song by Sara Evans called "Restless" where she sings, "What do you do? Where do you go/When nowhere feels like home? . . . I guess God just made some of us / To live and die by highway dust." That's how I've felt for so long. Maybe things are changing for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home